November 21, 2007

Confession of an Egoist
























I was born pale
and fading like an old bulb.
I want to die this way,
colorless, with a constant
becoming of the air
around, just to dissolve
like a cube of sweet cane
gone, gone,
from the life as
a bird of paradise
spread like a Japanese fan.
Eyes all over me.

In the rarity of being unaware,
fleetingly negligent of
the backs of my hands,
lark hands, the same
lark skin as my neck-
I remember
in the womb I choked myself
into lending some flesh.
If I could just lay on top of you
we might stop breathing
long enough to love the air,
the colorless and constant
becoming of the air,
becoming of everything, all matter,
becoming of the reality bearing
of the becoming of my reverie.

What would you give to become the wind?
Cold with me, strong with me
across continents like a
continental lust for the surface
ennerving the tops of trees,
swinging in hard limbs,
morphing into water
and running down cliffs.
At times I look up and realize
the clouds are still moving.
In theory,
we could hide in these clouds;
but you, like those before,
will fade in the zenith of people
with their pallid operettas
and bastard eyes.
You were born alive and well,
alive and well.

OK,
I will give you the confession of an egoist:
I want to die alone.

7 comments:

giving an account of oneself said...

I really really like the imagery of your poems, there is really nice movement to your cadence.
I had been reading Tercera Residencia by Neruda; and I found a similar liveliness.

Kubla Khan said...

Discovered your blog at Dispatches.
the name of your blog is great.....from a smoker like myself.....why the last cigarette?
i love poetry too....dabble myself at times......i am a dilletante.....however, poetry seems to be flirting with me most times, i am on the verges, never inside always.
you have written nice poems, i liked the Haiku one quite a bit.
i will visit your blog again. can i add it?

Kubla Khan said...

Discovered your blog at Dispatches.
the name of your blog is great.....from a smoker like myself.....why the last cigarette?
i love poetry too....dabble myself at times......i am a dilletante.....however, poetry seems to be flirting with me most times, i am on the verges, never inside always.
you have written nice poems, i liked the Haiku one quite a bit.
i will visit your blog again. can i add it?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful :) I really like your poetry, very well done.

xoxo

The Last Cigarette said...

Kubla Khan, by all means, add this blog. The last cigarette because it's a melancholy moment. Can you imagine your last cigarette? Then the years of non-smoking and winters wishing you could lean against walls alone in your puffs of smoke?

Anonymous said...

i want to feel your naked soul, pressed tight against my hips.
i want to taste the blood from your dry cracked lips.
i want to fake orgasms and tear phantasms in your bed.
i want to see you naked, ripped, and torn in my head.

i'm going to die alone.
i don't want to die alone.
but i'm going to die alone.
drift in an endless sea alone.
with no place, no place to call my own.
even for the lighter sins, i can't atone.
and because of this, i know i will die alone.

i want to feel your iron nails, digging into my skin.
i want to feel them deeper, deeper into my skin.
i want to watch you scream in ecstasy.
i want to kill you in your darkest fantasy.

eventually, we all die and it is then that it shall be seen who was loved.
was i loved? did i feel that distinct feeling of warmth, arising from your heart?
death likes company but for this, i will die alone.

The Last Cigarette said...

Hmm. Anonymous.