November 12, 2007

Sleep is a Rose, the Persians say




















I want to sleep in this grass
With my own arms wrapped
Like plants that have learned
To try in the dark.
This I can do with conviction
Like a caravan of ivory birds
Circling blackened poles
Constantly, constantly.

Autumn is summer
When you lay this still
Or when you love nothing.
It is disgusting how indecision
Cradles its babies into
The great mercy.
The world is hot and afraid.

Where is the bundled up ceremony
Of wandering bodies like nomads
Stoic and breaking in sweaters
And fat warm mugs?

Where is the blood trail?
I want to see my veins.
Where is the one with the body
Like a blade of grass?
I want to sleep in this grass.

I'm telling you.
Know that of which you do not dream.
Give up.

9 comments:

Joseph Charles said...

"Sleep is a Rose..."

I think of Nabokov, of course. I typed this in to Google, and you page was the first to pop up.

What does this phrase mean?

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

significa que dormir hace mucho bien

Anonymous said...

"Sleep is a rose, the persians say" is quoted in Movie Lolita, that's why i was curious to trace who said it and it's meaning, your blog pop up first

If you can help me, that'd be much appreciated
Thank you

Ms Laura said...

Right...do we know why sleep is a rose?

Nina said...

🌹 💤 🤔

K g enn said...

Because like the rose, sleep is a beautiful, precious gift that some people may not get to fully enjoy in life.

Philip T. Greene said...

Smoke cigarettes will continuously have an unmistakable smell that is irritating.Smokers from tobacco cigarettes sticks into all that they get into contact with for example cloths,hair public utilities etc. https://smokeprofy.com/reviews/best-travel-cigar-humidors/

Anonymous said...

Same here...